Saturday, October 9, 2010

What's my name - Rakesh Rohit

Story
                      What's my name
                                           - Rakesh Rohit

It was a common thing, he had a name. And often identified himself with the same name.  So  when  I  called  him  with  that,  before stopping, he startled and then yelled, "Hey it's you!"


Yes, it was me, he looked at me and before the start of the talk were trying to conclude. His fingers had begun playing with layers of news paper which was wrapped in my hands a while ago.

"Good, it's cheap...." he said, although it was not an advertiser jingles, consumer-like glow on his face could be seen,"...with even the horoscope. Let me see what is written about me?"

His individuality disturbed me for a moment, but I recovered because by saying me he was acknowledging my presence. "What is your Zodiac Sign?" I asked.

"Zodiac Sign.... Oh! I mean the first letter of the name will be given somewhere here only...." He was little confident.

There was nothing like that. There were zodiac signs with just some nice sounding predictions. No name, no alphabet associated with the name. I remembered I used to read the future in their at random selection. I looked at him, the shock had been evident but he became alert, "Such thing people actually remember these days and sometimes even their future, they would not need to find some."

"But what is your Sign?" I wanted to poke him and scared. On his face was nothing against me except a mystery. He whispered, "I often forget, I do not have any zodiac sign. Is it funny! Strange!"

"But what your name is?" My voice was echoing in the dark glen, and lost sight.

Who knows? Possibly he does not have a name or may there are twelve words in his name or his name does not begin with any letter of our alphabet and that which is impossible to write and difficult to call. Who knows? Anything can happen! it's hard to say with full conviction. Or it is possible that he is one of those who have name but no future. It's a common thing.                                                ooo

3 comments:

  1. I liked this story. Although based on small incident it touches heart and sends strong message. "Aadhunik Hindi Sahitya" blog is going in right direction and being popular among our friends. It's nice to publish this story in English.- Shekhar Vashishth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes really it is a very nice story. Searching identity of those who have no future.- Ateek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting for some new post.

    ReplyDelete